Thursday, January 29, 2015

Another Birthday



Did I tell you what I did for my birthday last year?
No?
Oh, well, here you go- DO take a look!
BRAGGING
STILL BRAGGING
In my defense, it *was* a particularly wicked milestone I had to get out from under, so running across the globe into the warm embrace of my ex-pat pal in Bavaria seemed the ticket.
And it was!
Win-win; because CAM was born there, we took a gander at his birthplace in hopes he'd be able to have a cathartic encounter.
Sadly, that military base was razed long ago, so instead of posing in front of the hospital, there's a picture of him standing in the middle of a cul de sac because that whole area was turned into a housing development.
However, this year was quite the opposite: a quiet, anti-climatic follow-up to last year's extravaganza.
Besides, it was smack dab in the middle of the week and not 2 days following the heartache of the National Championship loss.
So I really didn't feel much like celebrating, let alone in a big, obnoxious way.
Plus, we're poor.
But wouldn't you know, it was a mighty fine day.
Aren't birthdays weird?
They affect people differently.
At the stroke of midnight, you add another year to your age.
That singular day is all about you being born and on this Earth and wondering wth it all means.
And if you're like me and don't care to age gracefully, it can be harsh.
My mother likes to be elsewhere for hers, too, which is likely where I get that from.
In fact, as I publish this very day, she's somewhere south on a floating pollution factory again this year.
My sister works on hers so she can revel in the attention, then takes the following day off.
The brothers usually agree to whatever the wives suggest, as does CAM.
Some pretend they don't exist, while others are great self-promoters (hi!) and some even take it to another level by turning the day into a week, or I dare say, an entire month! (not me)
So yeah, these digits this time around? Not that big of a deal.
At the risk of sounding cliche and contrived, that it ended up lovely was all thanks to my wonderful husband.
While we were ringing in the New Year with friends in Oregon City, plans were made for the men to meet 1/2 way to pursue their bigfoot thing.
The 3rd weekend in January was discussed as being optimal.
When Scott said, "But that's SSS's birthday weekend, won't you be busy?"
"Oh, it's not an important one and we won't be doing much since it's a Wednesday."
Hmm, I didn't much care for the sound of that, but said nothing because in actuality, he was right.
I continued to bite my tongue until after he'd surprised me.
"Oh, weren't you fooled?"
"Did you really think I wasn't going to acknowledge your birthday?"
"Or try to make it special?"
Well, I did figure we'd have dinner, but that would pretty much be the end of it.
I'd already agreed on that New Year's Day drive home that we need not do much and when the 14th rolled around, stated I would not be making any plans for where or when we'd go out; that would be left up to him.
Call me gullible, because he had the last laugh.
Or would have, rather, were it not for an intrepid TV news reporter.

Recently, a United Van Lines survey named Oregon as the top moving destination in their annual study.
So a local station decided to do a story and CAM just happened to be in the right place at the right time looking like a good mark.
Because we don't watch the local news, it was peculiar he was anxious to turn on the television at 5:00 pm, right in the middle of NPR.
In short order it became clear why, as I looked over at his beaming smile.
It's a good interview, not surprisingly.
For someone who speaks for a living, he knows exactly what to say and how; perfect little soundbites and quips with great delivery.
Since I'm a media whore, his appearance made me both proud and envious.
But that's when I sort was all like, whaaaa?
My slow, old lady brain gears where starting to put it all together.
I thought he'd gone into town for some business calls, but in reality he'd taken the day off (ahhh) and was running around in a parking lot when he was approached.
But hard as I looked, and I even paused the site's video a few times, I could not tell where it'd taken place.
I was scouring the footage for clues as to what he'd been up to.
More specifically, where he'd been shopping and what did he buy?
For me?
They reran the piece again at the 6:00 hour, but it had been edited differently, was shorter, and there'd been a production glitch.
Bloody, buddy!
I was quick to post the clip to Facebook and send the link via email to those not on social media.
We were discussing later what he had said that wasn't used and what he wished he'd said.
The former would unexpectedly pop into my brain for some serious consideration sooner than later.
The day began with a rousing rendition of the classic Birthday Song Revelry played loudly on the trumpet- much better than an alarm.
After presents (which exceeded the budget limitations we set years ago to avoid extravagance ignored) mimosas and cake for breakfast (because we can), we leisurely packed up the car for a day on the coast, Dog in tow.
It couldn't have been more fabulous.
The cool January rains took a break while warm, glorious rays of sun filled the sky- I was over dressed.
Zabby was beside herself with the low tide offerings; we had to remind her old self to take it easy.
The 1st Lady Roll is pretty yummy

Hit up a new spot for lunch (uh, meh) looked for 1/2 off Duck gear at Fred Meyer's (only 40% and slim offerings) picked up a kibble puzzle ball to slow the dog down from wolfing food and engage her more (it's been compromised) finally satisfied our curiosity about that casino up the hill (smelly & sad) and generally just chillaxed before dinner at our favorite spot in Florence.

No sportsbook, tho'
Have I mentioned how much I love our coast?
Yes? Well here it is again.
L O V E
It's always different from one visit to the next, not just weather-wise, but the whole landscape gets swept dramatically by the awesome forces of nature it never ceases to amaze.
Plus, I believe in the meditative and healing qualities of the minerals and atoms in the sand, salt waters and air.
It's one of the main reasons we live here and one day will get even closer to it.
Which brings me to what CAM had explained to the reporter that unfortunately ended up on the cutting room floor.
He likened the feelings we have for being drawn to OR as >falling< in love with it, as one would a soulmate.
Unlike just living in a place because that's where you are from and comfortably know, such as one's love for a mother.
Of course he said it much more eloquently, but I knew precisely what he meant as we made that familiar, windy drive across the remainder of our county to the end of the country.
And it was the best for what I needed for another birthday.

The ever changing channel

This sign is new











*Addendum*
My Birthday Twin is a year younger than me and was feeling the trauma of turning 1/2 a century and I CERTAINLY did not blame him for the pity party his wife reported he was throwing for himself.
The surprise bash was hastily arranged and we were invited to Seattle almost as an after thought. But damn if I didn't feel his pain, so we drove up and had a blast, despite all that Seahawk nonsense that's infected the city during the playoffs (see previous post.)

Many were far worse



No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?