Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Summer Solstice Strawberry Moon

Psyche!
I have no pictures of that, but weren't the ones shared on social media stunning?!
The trees in our yard are just too tall and numerous and tend to obscure the moon when it's doing fantastical things, darn it.
But now the stars, oh we have a great place to gaze upon the stars here.
Neither of which is what this particular post is about, rather, I'm going to randomly put up pix taken around the joint lately to show changes.
We're gearing up for our big-ass party early next month and it's around this time I get anxious about what needs to be done.
Unfortunately, the super clean I began on the kitchen during these sunny days earlier in the week came to an abrupt halt because of the damn water troubles returning.
CAM has a few ideas and efforts, but I fear we might just need to call in our expert.
In the mean time, we'll resort to stealth showers and and jug fill-ups that have become too common place at the near-by campground. (Although the last time, I think the resident host was onto me, forcing me to facilities in town.)
Things really went pear-shaped yesterday when the Internet up and quit, and as you know, that's also how our phones work, so I was really in a bad way.
Again, I hate knowing that reception is a short drive down the street and up the forest road because I've made the trip more often then I'd like.
Ah well, at least I've gotten a bit more chill about dealing with the shit things around here.
Speaking of chill, I even washed my hair in the creek (bio-degradable soap) which left it silky and soft, tho' my sister's response when I told her was "Ewwwwwww, grooooooos."
She would not fare well w/o life's conveniences.

We pulled up the lawn chairs around the bee hive as it seemed like they might swarm.
Loads of them were pouring out, walking up its face before flying off in all different directions.
Scouts?
Or was it just a lot of them taking advantage of the sunshine?
They never bearded like the first time and it's almost 2 weeks later.
From the window CAM routed out (LOVE it!) I've been monitoring activity and noticed about 10 days ago at least 5 peanut shaped queen cells.
Yet I can't ascertain what is going on specifically.
Workers are crawling all over them and in fact appear to be entering them underneath from large holes I'd not noticed before.
There's also much more room in the comb than before where it looked as if the entire hive was squooshed into one box.
Could it be they've moved down further?
I try to open the porthole where the food juice once was, but too many try to escape.
I know nothing! (But I do know more than before...)
And last month I tried and re-tried like hell to post decent video of the install, but hit some uploading snags in terms of what this program allows.
Then attempted like a neophyte to edit, which of course was mostly unsuccessful.

*Update: CAM was able to pinpoint and repair the water problem. Seems the toilet ran the well dry, but there was more to it than simply waiting for it to fill. Pumps, compressors, etc. I don't know the half of it, I'm just REALLY glad he could take care of it himself at no cost.
*Update: Pretty sure the stinkers did in fact swarm. I'd been keeping vigil all week and had a feeling something was up. Then sure enough, the ONE afternoon I was away an awful lot of them were missing from the viewing window and those remaining had chilled out a great deal. Still not able to figure out the queen cells, yet, but I might have seen a queen move quickly down some comb and into the hive.
First bee sting of the summer. Remember that bit above about prying out the port hole? Yeah, well it didn't stop me and instead of being patient and calm, jerked a bit when one gal in particular came out at me. RIP you big dummy- I was hardly worth it. (But she sure did cause some damage; check out that swelling.)

These are all from early spring. It's all different now.







I've got to get some "after" shots up; the progress is amazeballs. He's outdone himself.



Always with the chicken helpers.
 More recent (as of 7/1)





No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?