CAM is a member of the organization Bugles Across America.
Too many vets are buried without the proper send-off of 'Taps'- it's a canned recording- and he found that to be untenable, so auditioned to volunteer his trumpeting services at funerals.
He's been on the roster for at least a year now without any requests locally, so when a call came in recently, he agreed to perform.
The invite, his 1st gig, was Memorial Day 2015 at an assisted-living facility in Woodburn OR.
Out of 10 resident veterans, 6 came to the program, one of whom was a woman (stationed in Idaho on payroll duty for the Navy!)
Nerves played a much bigger role than anticipated, but I thought he still sounded good.
It was nice to finally see the practicing, warming up and drills pay-off.
When the call comes for an actual graveside performance, he should be in top form and no doubt all in attendance will be moved beyond words by the haunting strain of this classic.
[Remember, CAM served as an Airman and is very familiar with this music.
We made a week-end of the trip north, starting with his presentation to our friend's 4th grade classroom about Sasquatch.
Then hit up lots more folks for fun visits throughout the metropolitan area.
Pix will follow as time allows.]
Very well done. I know I'd be disappointed with just a recording if I had a funeral.
ReplyDeleteWhat exactly is an Airman? Navy? Air Force? I was US Navy.
Hi Solarbeez, I was an E-4 Senior Airman in the Air Force stationed at Hickam AFB in Honolulu. Hickam is next door to Pearl Harbor and I think they are now one of those combined joint bases.
ReplyDelete