Friday, October 18, 2013

Ashland (Pt. 2)

Last week I posted some reviews of our recent trip to Ashland and I want to follow those up with a few more, complete with excess pictorial documentation.
We had a fantastic experience here and were it a bit closer to the Pacific, I'd move down in a heartbeat, despite it being even less populated than where we are now.
From the looks of things, you'd think all we do on our anniversaries is eat and drink.
And though that might be true to some extent, we certainly partake in other activities, as well.
I just didn't bother to review any.
Cheers!

Paddy Brannans Irish Pub
Lane County, OR
Contributor
“Worth ducking into” 
Reviewed October 1, 2013
At the suggestion of friends who'd been here the previous week-end, we stepped inside this cozy joint for a quick pre-show boilermaker and it was if suddenly half of our brains were replaced with silly string.
I can't explain it exactly, but this was such a strange, fun making little pub.
Hitting it at Happy Hour was also bonus, tho' we didn't have time for any of the many traditional Irish food offerings.
Served at the bar by a kind (but rather awkward) bartender, a local draft and shot of 3 Gingers were well priced.
There was also free Celtic entertainment which got off to a confused start, but seemed to be getting it together better as we were leaving.
On the Labor Day Sunday early eve we were there, only a few people occupied the booths and fewer at the bar. Don't know what the crowd might be like otherwise.
Tip- If you use the head up the ramp instead of the one immediately next to the tv, then flushing won't be overheard, nor will you run into the fiddler's bow, like me.

Watching all those UK murder series lately inform my choice: 3 Gingers
This bar was crazy-making
CAM has given up on me at this point

The Black Sheep Pub & Restaurant
Lane County, OR

4 of 5 starsReviewed September 24, 2013
LOVELOVELOVE! I'd put up a cot in the back and live here forever, if I could. Those monster stairs will only serve to sculpt my calves and keep out the weak! (But how are they ADA, I wonder?) Unabashed Anglophiles, we loved being transported across the pond in food and atmosphere. That this venue hosts the International Folk Musicians & Dancers Sundays while we were there, tho' anachronistic, was a fun watch. (I only wish the buzzkills behind us would have left if they disliked it so much rather than complain the whole time.) Traditional fish and chips (w/ peas, even!) went superbly with a Black and Tan. Solid service and reasonable prices. I wanted to return several more times during our inaugural visit to Ashland, but Husband insisted we explore other spots. I'll be back- mark my words!
CAM: Shandy
Selfie fail
SSS: Black & Tan
We missed Celtic music by an hour, dammit
In the women's WC- there should be more of these signs out there
 
Caldera Brewery
Lane County, OR

Reviewed September 24, 2013
On a whim, we followed the road our hotel (BWWI) was on to its end, only to discover this brilliant gem! The huge, shiny new building of only 2 months houses one of Southern Oregon’s largest collections with over 5000 cans and bottles. It also played great music inside, has clean restrooms, powerful hand-dryers and refreshingly good customer service- something we've found so terribly lacking of late. We took advantage of the glorious Labor Day Monday (glad they were opened for business on this holiday, many were not.) to dine outside overlooking a stunning view. That our dog was welcome to join us there was an added bonus. I'm going to give our adorable server a pass in not being quite on her game as we were there when the doors opened and she knew her beer better than the food. The food- which was inspired and delish, albeit a little spendy. I highly recommend the taster, but good luck selecting only 5 beers out of many wonderful and seasonal choices. Apparently there's a popular tap house downtown and Caldera is the first craft brewery in the State of Oregon to brew and can its own beer, but this was all news to us. You can bet this awesome spot will be at the top of our list the next time we're in Ashland.

Dog so happy to be out of jail and with her fella
I'm singing "Hoppy Anniversary" to my beloved
He's most appreciative
I can't recall what these were other than delectable
Super clean heads and POWERFUL dryer!
Interior full of WOW!
Represent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?